My paintings are not site-specific. They are an emotional response to memory, travel, and feelings of a place in time. I keep exploring ways of freeing form through color and texture and hope my paintings will trigger an emotional response in the viewer independent of my own experiences.
I was born in Indiana, but came west at a very early age with my mother, three brothers and an ailing father. My mother supported the family by taking in laundry and selling eggs. Later, as my dad’s health improved, we started moving for work that my dad could do. I went to 13 schools in 12 years, and, always being the “new kid” I was fortunate to make friends quickly. I initially trained as a paralegal, but with my return to college I discovered art – something that I had not been exposed to before. I loved it!
- Bachelor of Fine Art and K-12 Teaching Certification, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon (1977).
- Master of Fine Art in Painting and Drawing, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Washington (1983).
Professional & Teaching Experience
- 1981-90 ~ Instructor and program developer of Fiber Arts, and Housing & Interiors at Central Washington University.
- 1985-92 ~ Adjunct art instructor, Yakima Valley Community College.
- 1989-2006 ~ Director of Larson Gallery, YVCC
- 2008-2015 ~ Advisory Board, College of Arts and Humanities, Central WA University.
- 2010-2015 ~ Executive Director and Curator, Gallery One, Ellensburg, WA
- Art-Link: Teacher’s Travel Guide, with David Lynx (Yakima Valley Museum), 2003.
- Warp, Weft, Craft and Art (1983; revised 1989).
- Artsvan: Resource & Curriculum Guide, An Arts In Education Program (1988)
- Visualizations: A Companion Guide for Drawing, Painting and Design with R.A.Fisher (1987).
- 2014 ~ Theo Award presented by the Board of Trustees of Gallery One for outstanding contributions in the arts.
- 2006 ~ Larson Gallery Guild’s Annual Arts Recognition Award
- 2004 ~ Washington Museum Association for Art-Link: Teacher’s Travel Guide.
- 2001 ~ Governor’s Arts Award for the State of Washington.
- 1993 ~ Yakima County YWCA, Woman of Achievement in the Arts.
- 1992 ~ Kennedy Center Award for Artsvan: Resource & Curriculum Guide
- 1988 ~ Allied Arts Council of Yakima Education Award for Artsvan: Resource & Curriculum Guide.
- 1984-2015 ~ Various art awards from national and local juried exhibitions
Additional Curatorial Experience
- 2004-present ~ Director of Art On the Wall, Capitol Theatre, Yakima.
- Washington State Arts Commission, Olympia.
- Artist Trust awards panelist.
- Seattle Art Museum, The Photography Council
- Juror for many state and local art exhibitions
- 2018 ~ Sense of Site,
- 2015 ~ Kittitas County Juried Show, Gallery One, Ellensburg.
- 2014 ~ 59th Central Washington Artist’s Juried Exhibition, Larson Gallery, Yakima.
- Our Light, curated show at Yakima Light Project Gallery, The Seasons, Yakima.
- Reflections of Water, Gard Cellars, Ellensburg.
- 2013 ~ Through a Chinese Window, invitational show, Gallery One, Ellensburg.
- In Case You Were Wondering, invitational show, Allied Arts, Yakima, WA.
- 2012 ~ Italy Revisited, CWU President’s Reception Center, Ellensburg.
- 2011 ~ Reflections of Italy, 2-person exhibit with Bob Fisher, Larson Gallery, Yakima.
- 2010 ~ Crossroads and Connections II, Alumni Exhibition, Sarah Spurgeon Gallery, Central Washington University, Ellensburg.
- Women Artists: Where We Are Now, group exhibit, Gallery One (Ellensburg) and Larson Gallery (Yakima).
- 2009 ~ Kittitas County Women in the Arts, Sarah Spurgeon Gallery, CWU, Ellensburg.
- Ebb and Flow, Oak Hollow Gallery, Yakima, with Bob Fisher.
- 2008 ~ Art of the Home, invitational show, Carnegie Art Center, Walla Walla.
- Daniel DeSiga & Friends, Sarah Spurgeon Gallery, CWU, Ellensburg
- Temptation: A Mixed Media Invitational, Allied Arts, Yakima.
- Beyond Boundaries: 35 Chicago Artists Connect with 12 Yakima Area Artists, Larson Gallery, Yakima.
- 2007 ~ Birds in Fact and Fantasy, invitational show, Allied Arts Gallery, Richland.
- Between Here and There, Oak Hollow Gallery, Yakima, with Bob Fisher.
- 2006 ~ Yakima Ridges–Then and Now, Allied Arts, Yakima.
- Exploring Place: Women Artists Working in Central Washington, invitational show, Esvelt Gallery, Columbia Basin College, Pasco.
- Carol Hassen: A Retrospective Exhibition, Larson Gallery, Yakima.
- 2005 ~ Color and Fantasy, Allied Arts Gallery, Richland, with Lisa Day.
- 1983~2005 ~ Various national and local juried exhibitions.
- Yakima Valley Museum, Yakima, WA
- Capitol Theatre, Yakima, WA
- Private including Costa Rica, Washington, Oregon, California, and Utah