I am a landscape painter, a genre that is often understood to be a record of a place’s details – its trees, mountains, light, and clouds. For me, landscape painting is about the invisible but tangible space that the trees, mountains and clouds exist within. The land and the atmosphere embrace one another in a yin-yang dance of solidity and void, each defining the other.
I was born in Richland, Washington, in 1952. I went to 11 schools in 6 states for grades 1-12, with all three years of high school in the same place. My parents moved frequently for many reasons, the most obvious was to chase the American Dream. This proved elusive for them, but I experienced many different parts of the US that placebound kids don’t. This is something that I share with my wife, Carol, who went to 13 schools in 12 years. Growing up on the move and always being “the new kid” creates tenacity and independence. This is something with which I also approach my art
- 1978 – double major: Bachelor of Art (BA) in Art History, and Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA) in Painting. University of Washington, Seattle.
- 1982 – Master of Fine Art (MFA) in Painting. Central Washington University, Ellensburg.
- 1981-82 – Central Washington University, assistant instructor.
- 1982-83 – Wenatchee Valley College, sabbatical replacement.
- 1983-2014 – Yakima Valley Community College, Art Department Chair and instructor of Drawing, Painting, Design, Art Appreciation, Art History, Humanities, and guest lecturer
Selected recent honors
- 2015 – installation of Emotions mural into new Palmer Martin Building, Yakima Valley Community College.
- 2014 – cover artwork for The Light You Find by Terry Martin; Selah: Blue Begonia Press.
- 2011 – 10th Annual Arts Award recipient. Larson Gallery, Yakima WA.
- 2010 – Central Washington Artists, 2007-2010, Artists Archive Project. Yakima: Larson Gallery.
- 2009 – cover artwork for Down the Road the Children Go by Dan Peters; Yakima: Blue Begonia Press.
- 2009 – ten week sabbatical in Italy. Art historical emphasis on the transition from the Late Medieval to the Early Renaissance.
- 2001 – designer of the Helen Jewitt-Shields Millennium Clock Tower, Yakima Valley Community College; dedicated, March 2002.
Selected recent awards
- 2014 – Honorable Mention; Kittitas Valley Annual Juried Exhibit; Gallery One, Ellensburg WA.
- 2012 – Corman Memorial Award; Kittitas Valley Annual Juried Exhibit; Gallery One, Ellensburg WA.
- 2005 – Excellence in Drawing Award; 50th Annual Central Washington Artists Exhibition. Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA.
- 2005 – Honorable Mention; 33rd Annual Nation Photography Exhibition. Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA.
- 2004 – Karen Raine Memorial Award, and, Argus Insurance Purchase Award; 49th Annual Central Washington Artists Exhibition. Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA.
- 2003 – Lloyd Garretson Company Award; 48th Annual Central Washington Artists Exhibition. Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA.
- 2001 – Memorial Hospital Award; 46th Annual Central Washington Artists Exhibition. Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA.
- 2000 – President’s Award; 45th Annual Central Washington Artists Exhibition. Larson Gallery, Yakima, WA.
Selected recent exhibitions
- 2015 – Places on a Map. Two person show with Carol Hassen. Oak Hollow Gallery, Yakima.
- 2014 – The Northwest Experience regional juried exhibit. Clymer Museum, Ellensburg WA.
- 2013 – Through a Chinese Window, invitational group exhibit. Gallery One, Ellensburg WA.
- 2011 – Reflections of Italy. Sabbatical exhibit. Larson Gallery; Yakima, WA.
- 2011 – 10x10x10 National Juried Exhibition, Mighty Tieton, Tieton WA.
- 2009 – Ebb and Flow. Two person show with Carol Hassen. Oak Hollow Gallery; Yakima.
- 2008 – Regional Pastel Invitational, curated by Cheryl Williams Cosner. Carnegie Art Center, Walla Walla.
- 2005 – 50th Annual Central Washington Artists Juried Exhibition. Larson Gallery; Yakima. Excellence in Drawing Award.
- 2004 – 32nd Annual National Juried Photography Exhibition. Larson Gallery; Yakima, WA.